Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Breakfast Casserole

I don't like eggs. At all. I don't like the taste, I don't like the texture, I don't like the smell.... not even a little. I've even been known to turn down french toast because the egg is too strong for me. I know - crazy, huh? The only way I can eat an egg is if it's baked into a cake, or cookies, or a pan of brownies!! LOL There is, however, one exception. This. My mother-in-law made this late one night on her youngest daughter's prom night. After the dance a big group of kids came to the house to keep the fun going. They watched a movie, played some games & had a '4th meal'. Zac & I were there for it & I could smell this cooking as we were waiting to be invaded with too many teenagers. It smelled great! But when she told me what it was I turned my nose at it. But then curiosity got to me. And hunger knocked. I built my courage & decided tat maybe I could get past the egg. Armed with a glass of milk I took a toddler-sized bite. Hmmm. That wasn't too bad. Another bite. Hmmm. That's actually kinda good! Another bite. Are you sure there's egg in here? This is good stuff!! And now it's something we have regularly around our house - and it always goes over well with everyone... even this egg hater!

Ingredients:


Frozen diced hash browns, ham, eggs, shredded cheese, milk, butter, salt & pepper.

First step is to heat your oven to 425. Put some butter in a dish - 8x8 or 9x13, depending how big you want to make this - and put it into the oven to melt the butter in the pan. Don't forget it's in there, though, because nobody likes burned butter. Not that I know ANYthing about burning butter! *blush* Pull the hot pan out & add in your hash browns. Pat them down & then pop it back into the oven for 20-25 minutes.


While that is cooking dice up your ham & whisk the eggs, milk, salt & pepper together in a small bowl. Set aside.


After your 20-25 minutes pull the pan out and REDUCE THE HEAT TO 350!! I forget to do that a solid 50% of the time & end up with overcooked casserole!

Sprinkle the ham over the potatoes, top with cheese.


Now evenly pour your egg mixture over it all.


Put it back into the **350** oven that you remembered to reduce for another 30 minutes. Here it is!!


We had it with some sausage & strawberries tonight. GOOD stuff!


One of my favorite parts of this is the edge! The cheese and butter ooze up together & turn into a thin, crispy, almost-burnt little gem! Can you see it there along the top!? Yum.


Breakfast Casserole:

For an 8x8:
2 Tbsp butter
8 oz frozen diced hash browns (my store only has 32-oz bags so I use about 1/4 of it.)
1 1/2 cup diced ham
1 cup shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
3 eggs
1/3 cup milk
salt & pepper

For a 9x13 just double it!

Put the butter in the pan & melt it in the oven at 425. Once melted, add the potatoes & pat down lightly. Return to the oven & cook 20-25 minutes.

In a bowl, beat together eggs, milk. salt & pepper.

Once the potatoes are done reduce oven temp to 350. Sprinkle potatoes with ham, then cheese, then pour the egg mixture over the top. Return to the oven for about 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter