Thursday, May 20, 2010

Pulled Pork

Crock pots. Who doesn't love a crock pot!? We had a baseball game tonight so I threw dinner in about 10:00 this morning & knew we'd be all set with a nice, hot, ready-to-go meal just before our game! And it's one my kids love... even cheer for some nights - Pulled Pork Sandwiches.

********************************************

Step 1: Get a chunk of pork! Tonight I used a small pork roast. I've also used tenderloin. Haven't used chops yet, but it's all the same meat so I'm sure they'd work. But I'm a meat snob. I hate gristle, the sinew, veiney stuff... If you're less of a snob - which I'm confident most normal people are, you could easily use a shoulder or butt to save some money. This will be in the crock pot long enough to soften all the nitty-gritty connective tissue that make my wussy spine shiver.

Throw it in the crock pot & cover with ..... *drumroll* ..... Root Beer! Put on the lid & cook on low for about 7-8 hours. Don't worry if you think it smells not-awesome as it simmers in the soda. The first time I made it I though 'What have I done!?' But just trust the process! I promise you'll like it!


Pull it out & shred it with 2 forks. Shred it good so it'll soak up all the sauce it's about to bathe it!


Discard root beer & return meat to the crock pot & cover with a full bottle of BBQ Sauce (yes, I use crock pot liners! Try them - you'll fall in love!) We like Sweet Baby Ray's Brown Sugar & Hickory for this recipe. Let it go on low for another hour, stir it a time or two.


Toast up some buns - check out these adorable mini buns by Sara Lee! Perfect kid-sized sandwiches! Put a heap of meat on each bun & inhale these babies! Well - I guess you should take responsible bites - but really, you won't want to. These bad boys are DELICIOUS!!!!


Oh - and an added bonus!? My kids know that rather than the usual milk we serve with every other dinner, they get to finish off the 2-liter of root beer with this meal!



Pulled Pork:

Small pork roast/loin/a few chops
1-litre Root Beer
1 bottle BBQ Sauce

Place pork in slow cooker & cover with root beer. Cook on low for 7-8 hours.

Remove from crock pot & root beer. Shred pork with 2 forks, return to crock pot & cover with BBQ sauce. Stir & cook on low 1 more hour.

Serve on toasted buns.

2 comments:

  1. Looks Yummy! Now we can swap recipes! I love using pork roasts for sandwiches. I'm going to have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This I did make.
    My first pulled pork ever and YES it was easy and it was surprisingly tasty.
    I have made it twice now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Counter