Thursday, May 27, 2010

"Wet Burritos" (Salsa Verde Pork)

Hubby made dinner tonight. (It's funny how such a simple sentence can put such a big smile on my face!! LOL) As most of you know, Hubby is a firefighter & firefighters know how to cook! This is a dinner he makes for the guys at the station & he wanted to try it out on the family tonight. Good stuff! Even baby Jack had a good share of the meat! The guys at the station call these Wet Burritos - I'm not sure if I can get on board with such an unappealing-sounding name, so in this house I think it'll be Salsa Verde Pork!

Get out your crock pots again!!


Get a pork shoulder/butt.... yes, I know. I just had that blurb about not liking to cook with the 'yucky' stuff but Hubby was the hands that had to touch/see this stuff - I just got to see/eat the finished (delicious) product! And, because Hubby cooked this, you'll notice no crock pot liner *grumble grumble*. Just makes for more work at clean up. Oh well.

Anyway - back on topic!! Get a pork shoulder/butt, 2 cans of black beans (drained & rinsed), a jar of salsa verde (hubby says Herdez is the best - we used Pace tonight & it was fine) and a can of green enchilada sauce (the smaller size). Throw it ll in the crock pot together & set on high for about 7-8 hours (until it pulls apart easily). Then pull it out & shred it with two forks. While you have the meat out of the pot, use a spoon to skim the grease/oil/fat (whatever you call it!) off the top. Then throw it all back into the crock & give it a good stir. Let it go for another 2 hours, or so.


Serve this with a slotted spoon. There is a lot of liquid in there (thus the name Wet Burritos!) and you don't want your tortillas to get *too* soggy. Put a heap of meat on a tortilla & top with you favorite toppings - cheese, onions, cilantro, sour cream.... whatever you think sounds good!


Roll it up & enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. YUM!!!!! I have never tried the crock pot liners, I think I might have to try them now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK! So funny! Notice my exclamation marks, too!

    ReplyDelete

Counter