Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Asian BBQ Pork Chops

We're starting off with a confession. I cannot cook pork chops in the crock pot. I try. I try all the time. I have tried several different recipes and I have tried several different techniques to keep them moist, but I always fail & get dried out meat. Like the kind that sucks the moisture out of your mouth as you chew it. The kind that you have to have a tall glass of milk to help you get it down. What am I doing wrong!? I don't know... but I will say that these chops, had I baked them in the oven or a couple of hours less in the crock pot, would have been amazing. So, I'm gonna go ahead & share it anyway! If you insist on doing them in the crock pot maybe just go on low for 3 or 4 hours. Not the 6 that I did. Another tip I've heard is if you sear them in a pan on the stove (don't cook them completely, just put some brown on each side) before you throw them in the crock pot it helps retain the moisture... but I failed at that one, too! LOL

ANYWAY! How's that for instilling faith in your cooking blog lady, huh!? I'm just keeping it real. Sometimes I fail!


Let's see the fixings:


Pork chops (excuse the marks from my tongs!), brown sugar, soy sauce, ketchup, honey, pepper, garlic, cornstarch.

Start out by mixing the sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, pepper & garlic (minced up or pressed through a press). Give them a good whisk until they are combined into a good sauce.



Then toss your chops into your crock pot & pour the sauce on top. Flip them over in the sauce to get the coated well.


Now give a good squeeze of honey over the top of each chop, using some tongs to help get the bottom chops.


Then just cover & cook on low for [insert appropriate time here.] I did 4 hours and then moved on to the last step & cooked an additional 2 hours for a total of 6 hours on low for 4 chops. It was too long!

The last step? Take the chops out & set aside. Add in a couple tablespoons of cornstarch & whisk it into the sauce to make it into a thicker glaze-like sauce, rather than a thin, runny marinade. Add the chops back in & go for another 2 hours. I'm thinking the appropriate times should have maybe been 2 hours/2 hours.


And that's it! We served it up with brown rice & steamed broccoli. The flavor was WONDERFUL! Like BBQ meets Asian cuisine. I definitely recommend you try it out... just don't overcook your meat like I ALWAYS seem to do! LOL A bonus of crock pot cooking is that your whole house will smell great as you wait for this to finish up!


And a peek inside... all good and saucy on the outside, but still nice & bright white inside!


Asian BBQ Pork Chops:

6 pork chops
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 cloves of garlic, minced
pepper to taste
1/2 cup honey
2 TBSP cornstarch

Place pork chops into crock pot. In a separate bowl, combine sugar, ketchup, soy sauce, garlic & pepper. Whisk until combined. Pour over the chops & use tongs to flip the chops around to ensure they are all coated. Squirt honey generously over each chops - again using tongs to reach the bottom ones.

Cook on low for 2 (?) hours. Remove chops & set aside. Add cornstarch to sauce in the crock pot. Whisk to combine. Add chops back into sauce and cook on low an additional 2 hours. Serve hot with extra sauce over the top.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy!! I've been following your blog since my friend gave me the url. Love all of the pictures you post and the recipes are always something *I* can handle. This one looks really yummy and I will have to head to the store after nap so we can make this for dinner tonight!

    Anna
    http://wastedbandwidth.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Anna! I've loosely coined my cuisine as "Kid friendly food that grown ups love, too!" LOL I am the farthest thing from gourmet so I'm pretty confident that anything you see here is something that even a never-been-in-the-kitchen HUSBAND could do!! LOL I hope you try these & love them ... not overcooked, of course! Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Counter