Saturday, March 26, 2011

Ground Beef Stroganoff


We love Beef Stroganoff in our house. It was one of the first 'real' meals I started making for Hubby in our early days as I was just starting to discover the magic that could be made without a box in the kitchen! LOL Growing up, my mom was consistent & always made sure we were fed, but it was often something frozen or from a box & I was never a part of making it so I came into our marriage a complete cooking rookie. Thank goodness for the internet & the Food Network - who knows what we'd be eating these days if they hadn't held my hand along this journey! This here is my friend's recipe. Normally when I make Stroganoff, I use a sliced sirloin & slow simmer it in a homemade sauce. When I saw Kristi's recipe I wanted to give it a try to see if it could be as delicious with such a simple recipe - and it was really good! I still love my recipe, but this is definitely a great lazy-day alternative that gives a very similar taste!

You will need:


Ground beef, onion, 2 packets of brown gravy mix & sour cream... and egg noodles to serve it over! I usually get the wheat ones - make me feel like I'm being good!

First thing is to dice up some onion (just do an amount you think your kids will tolerate! LOL I did about 1/3 of the onion). Get the onion & beef into a pan & cook it up.


While that is going prepare your packets of gravy mix according to the package directions. Pour cold water into the pan with the mix & whisk it together well. THEN put it on the heat - medium. Once it begins to boil let it got for 1 more minute & turn it off.


Stir in the sour cream.


Then add your beef into the gravy.


And serve it over your noodles! Don't forget to get the noodles going while you're doing all this. I spaced it & had to let the beef gravy sit for 10 minutes while I hurried up on the noodles. Woops! Oh well - it was still yummy!


Easy, warm comfort! This sort of reminds me of something my mom & dad have mentioned from their Army days - S.O.S. (I won't decode that for anyone that doesn't already know what it stands for, sorry!) ... but they'd serve it over a slice or two of white bread/toast. I'll have to make this for them sometime - I think they would both love it.


Ground Beef Stroganoff:

1 lb ground beef
Diced onion
2 packets brown gravy mix
1/2 - 3/4 cup sour cream
Egg noodles, prepared

Brown hamburger with onion and season with some salt and pepper. Make brown gravy according to the instructions on gravy packet. When gravy is made, add sour cream to gravy mixing until it is all blended. Add ground beef to the gravy. Cook egg noodles according to directions on noodle package. Serve beef gravy over the noodles.

Source: Kristi's Kitchen Kreations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Counter